Pre-Planning: The Time is Now
To alleviate some future stress upon your family of planning your funeral service during an emotional time, you could decide to pre-plan now. Just as you undergo estate planning to wrap up any financial loose ends, pre-planning your funeral service is a responsible step to be taken. Pre-planning provides peace of mind to both you and your family by eliminating the guesswork and ensuring your wishes are known and carried through.
What Does Pre-Planning Encompass?
Most funeral homes have pre-planning services where a knowledgeable director can guide you through the process. You may even consider pre-paying for all or a portion of your funeral to ease the financial burden on your family. There are many details to plan for a funeral including:
- Type of burial (cremation or burial).
- Type of casket or urn.
- Type of ceremony (secular, religious or military).
- Any special readings.
- Any religious rituals and beliefs to follow.
- Type of music to be played.
- Would you like a graveside service following the funeral? Or would you prefer a memorial service?
- Any pre-funeral services such as a viewing or wake.
- Names of pallbearers.
- Names of people to read eulogies.
- Any charities you’d like donations to be made to.
- A list of people you’d like notified upon your death.
Benefits of Pre-Planning
When a death occurs, many times the family is left unprepared and is under a lot of stress. Pre-planning has many benefits including:
- Secure today’s prices. If you pre-pay for your funeral arrangements, you’ll receive today’s prices and have peace of mind that your family will not have to pay down the road.
- Make informed choices. You have the luxury of time now to carefully think about and consider different options available to you. You can compare prices and quality to select the best option within your budget.
- Ensure your wishes are carried through. If you have specific special requests you’d like during your funeral, you can outline your concerns at this time. By pre-planning your service now, you can add your own personal touch through music or readings — things that are often difficult for families to decide on.
- Alleviates the burden of planning on your family. Being relieved of the duty to plan and second-guess what a loved one would want can be a huge help in time of mourning.
By pre-planning your funeral, you are bestowing a future gift upon your family and ensuring your personal beliefs and choices are reflected in your service.
Thomas Gallagher Funeral Home is proud to serve Stamford, CT. We are here to help with all your pre-planning needs. For more information, call us at (203) 359-9999 or contact us anytime.